Today we hit a milestone of sorts for Contractors Electric. Since the beginning of this year we have just been asked to work on our 300th project. Many of these are small residential repair or troubleshooting projects. Some of them are medium sized commercial projects. A couple of them are size-able commercial or industrial projects. This also marks 450 separate jobs since we started the company in June of last year.
We are extremely grateful for the way the community has received us and asked us to work for them. It has not been an easy road. We have worked hard here to bring the best
possible solutions to our clients. That so many of us have asked us to help them solve their electrical challenges has been humbling for us.
At this time of year as we contemplate our gratitude for our clients we also turn our minds to those other important things we are grateful for in our lives. I thought I’d take a moment and share some of what I am grateful for. Please forgive my rambling nature… there’s just so much to be thankful for:
- I am thankful and grateful that God loves me in spite of myself. I could not do what I am doing whether at home or at work without His guiding hand in all that I do. I am grateful for His Son who sacrificed everything and mediates my shortcomings with the Father so that I can rejoin their presence some day.
- I am grateful for my wife, Pam. She is rock solid. She also loves me in spite of myself. She is the most patient woman I know. She accepts the long hours, the worry and the fretting that I put into growing a new business. She never complains about it. Did I mention that she loves me? In spite of myself? She makes me want to be a better me, constantly.
- I am grateful for my children. They are singularly the most wonderful and yet hardest part of my life all at once. Michael, Kyle and Amanda are Pam’s from a previous marriage. But, I have grown to love and care about them as if they were my own. Taylor is my one and only daughter who I love more than life itself. It is an instinctive trait for men to want to fix things. Whether it’s a toy, a tool, a car or a broken heart. With all my being I wish I could solve the problems and challenges that my children have. I wish I could make their hurts go away and the sadness in their lives turn around. But, one of the hardest things I have learned as a parent and father is that, like I did before them, and my parents did before me, they will have to solve a lot of their own heartaches on their own. Still, what parent among us doesn’t grieve for their pain but also shout with joy at their triumphs? I am grateful for my children – for all that they are and all that they have taught me about myself.
- I am grateful for my 5 grandchildren and the one due this coming April. The bring a delight to my life that you can only understand if you have grandchildren yourself. They are God’s special reward for having raised children.
- I am grateful for Contractors Electric and my business partner, Jeff Brown. We could not have built what we have today in just 20 months were it not for Jeff. A principled and believing man. I could not ask for a better business partner. He works as hard as or harder than I do. He has my complete trust and I love him like a brother. I am likewise grateful for our employees who have worked hard to help us make our dream a reality.
- I am grateful for all the people and companies who have trusted us to manage their electrical work for them. We will continue to work hard and as efficiently as possible to always be worthy of your trust and support. Thank you, thank you all.
- I am eternally grateful for having been born to wonderful parents, now long gone, who taught me right from wrong, need from want and the importance of love and trust.
I am grateful for my brother, John, and my sister, Dawn, both of whom passed away this year. Few things can prepare us to let go of family that has given us SO much. I am grateful for my brother, Frank, and my sister, Sally, who remain and continue to give of themselves to their families, to mine and to me. I have been truly blessed by my family still present and by those who have gone before me.
- I am grateful for this country. It’s not perfect by a long shot and some of the things that make it awesome are sometimes the very things that make it a challenge too. I am grateful that the constitution grants me the rights I have as a free citizen of the greatest country on the face of the earth.
- I am grateful for those who created this country, fought for it, died for it and who continue to fight and die for it. I am grateful for the soldiers, sailors, marines and airmen who continue to preserve our right to live free.
When I think of all the above I realize that my material possessions don’t mean nearly as much as God, spouse, children, family, country and friends do to me. I could leave this world penniless but die the richest man on earth simply because of just these blessings in my life.
May you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Whether it’s with family or friends, whether it’s in service or being served, let us count our blessings and see what God has done for us.
November 22, 2011